Thank you for watching, voting, and commenting on this issue. We understand this has been a long running request. We also understand this has caused a lot of frustration so I don't want to ignore that fact, but I do hope to strike a chord of optimism with this update.
A recap of the current workarounds:
(1) Utilising team-managed projects
- From your project sidebar, go to Project settings > Issue types.
- Select Description and update the default description you want to see when you’re creating an issue.
(2) Add Description text for a field
Note: Before you begin, you’ll need to set up a field configuration scheme for your issue types in your project.
To update the description for the Description field:
- Go to Settings > Issues > Field configuration.
- Select Field configuration.
- Under Actions, select Configure.
- Find the Description field, and select Edit.
- Update the description for the field 'Description' in the text box.
The description you add will come up when you create an issue of a certain issue type if it has been associated with the screen. Learn more about associating fields with screens.
(3) Configure automation rules for your system fields.
There’s some suggested workflows from other community members in Default text for Description field on Jira Cloud.
Learn more about automation rules in Jira cloud.
As for building the feature to add default values to system fields in company-managed projects, it is still on our radar.
For transparency, there’s a number of foundational pieces we are working on in order to unblock this feature. At this stage we hope to be able to start work on this in 12 months - we understand it’s a long time and we ask for your continued patience as we work through the implementation.
Please continue to vote and in particular please continue to add comments on how your teams find value when using default values for system fields. This feedback on your specific needs and use cases is invaluable for us as we continue to evolve Jira Cloud.
Product Manager, Jira Cloud