We had initially planned to provide an update on this ticket in a few weeks' time, but due to the increase in comments recently, I hope that an update now will provide some clarity.
To summarize previous updates from Atlassian on this ticket:
- In late 2019, we began actively working on this feature as we finished up the ability to rename sites.
- In early 2020, we identified some security concerns with our approach. In the spirit of transparency, we also provided a detailed summary of why this feature is more complex than it might appear, which you can see in the February 4, 2020 update in the issue description above.
- In June 2020, I shared that we had decided to pause investment on this feature in order to focus on a number of other high-priority projects.
- In October 2020, to be more transparent on exactly what these projects are we published a detailed roadmap of planned features across our cloud products.
As of now, January 2021, we have a team actively reviewing our previous approach to custom domains and determining the best way to deliver the feature in a way that meets as many customer requirements as possible without risking the security of your data. We know that hosting on your own domain is key for many customers to move to our cloud products. As you can see in our public roadmap, our current expectation is that we will be able to launch custom domains in 2022.
With that said, I want to correct some confusion earlier in the comments around the changes to the server deployment option for our products. There are no plans to "disable" the server version of our products (this is not technologically possible). The key changes are:
- On February 2, 2021, new server licenses will no longer be available for purchase.
- Existing customers will be able to change user tiers for one year, and renew support and maintenance contracts for server licenses for up to three years.
- On February 2, 2024, Atlassian will no longer release new versions of the server products or provide support.
You can learn more about these changes in the dedicated information hub.
On behalf of the Atlassian team, we take your feedback seriously and understand both the frustration and the urgency. We are working hard to create the best overall experience for as many customers as possible, in line with our company values. As always, you can share your feedback with me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
We plan to provide the next update on this feature in July 2021.
Senior Group Product Manager