Status: Future Consideration (View Workflow)
Atlassian Status as at 22 December 2017 Hi everyone, Thanks for providing your thoughts and votes on this suggestion. We know it's been a while since this suggestion was raised and we're sorry to have kept you so long without a clear answer. Your feedback has really helped us better understand the varied challenges you face with the current way estimates are handled for sub-tasks. Despite our lack of communication, this problem is actually an area that we plan to look at in more details. Right now we've decided to prioritise this challenge on our roadmap and plan performing further explorations to better understand underlying needs of our varied customer base in this area. With this step we want to explore more the different ways users estimate their sub-tasks and what it actually means for the estimate of the parent task. This will help us propose some solutions that will minimise a need of increasing complexity of Jira. Following that, we plan to validate with you, our customers, these potential solutions and prioritize the most impactful changes for development. Thank you again for all your feedback on this suggestion and we look forward to providing you with more updates. Thanks, Jakub Lazinski Product Manager, Jira Server
As a Greenhopper Scrum product owner, I want story estimates to automatically total to the sum of the estimates for all sub-tasks IF and ONLY IF subtasks are entered (else I want story estimates to be manual entry) so that I can view on the scrum board the original estimate against the remaining time.
Definition of Done:
1) When no sub-tasks exist for a story, the estimate field for the story allows entry of a value manually
2) When one or more sub-tasks exist for a story, the estimate field for the story is calculated as the sum of the estimates for all sub-tasks for that story
I'm finding a feature in Greenhopper to NOT operate as I would have expected. The feature is in estimating where the estimation on the scrum board is configured for original time estimates. What I would like is:
1) when no sub-tasks are created for a story, the estimation and remaining fields are editable within the story
2) when sub-tasks have been created, the story estimate and remaining fields are calculated as the sum of the estimate and remaining fields for the sub-tasks
What's currently happening is that the story estimate field is not calculated from the sum of the sub-tasks but the story remaining field is. Worse, if you enter a value in the story estimate field when sub-tasks have been added and estimated, the value entered into the story estimate field is added to the story remaining field, which already has the sum of the sub-tasks. Thus, if, as a work around, you try to manually enter a story estimate that equals the sum of the sub-task estimates, the story remaining field value doubles. There's no work around for this. This feature seems poorly defined. I understand what the product team was trying to accomplish... the ability to estimate and view remaining values for stories that have no sub-tasks or prior to sub-tasks being added. What they missed is that the field could serve both functions - manual entry when no sub-tasks exist and calculated value when sub-tasks do exist. I strongly urge the product team to consider this feature at their earliest opportunity as the inability to see from the scrum board the original estimate against the remaining value in plan and work mode is a problem.
- Configure Scrum board to use "Original Time Estimate" for Estimation Statistic
- Configure Scrum board to use "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent" for Time Tracking
- Create an issue with issue type Story, without specifying any Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate
- Create 2 sub-tasks for this issue.
- Sub-task 1 has Remaining Estimate of 4 hours
- Sub-task 2 has Remaining Estimate of 2 hours
- Checking parent of sub-tasks in Issue View, Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate is now shown as 6 hours
- Navigate back to Scrum board, open Issue Detail View, and Original Estimate for parent issue is Unestimated