There are several reasons why it would be useful to be able to remove historical versions of selected pages:
- to remove confidential information which was accidentally added while editing the page
- to reduce the database usage of Confluence, particularly on frequently- or automatically-updated pages
- to comply with legislative document destruction requirements (e.g. delete content older than some years).
Practically speaking, this might be implemented in a number of different ways:
- ability to remove old versions of pages older than specific date (e.g. get rid of anything older than 6 months)
- ability to limit the number of old versions kept (e.g. limit to 5 previous versions)
- ability to remove specific old versions from one or more pages.
These tasks could be done manually via space admin, triggered by an automatic housekeeping task, or done manually for specific pages.