Status: Closed (View Workflow)
4.1.10, 4.3.7, 5.2.3, 5.4.3, 5.4.4
- Confluence 4.1.10 with Office Connector 2.1.10
- Confluence 4.3.2 with Office Connector 2.1.12
- Confluence 5.2.3 with Office Connector 3.1.1
- Upload this PDF file to Confluence page: Panasonic_NiMH_HHR70AAAJ.pdf
- Go to Insert > Other Macros > PDF
- Try to preview this PDF.
- Confluence will crash.
Error in atlassian-confluence.log:
Tomcat window freezed:
Java process hanged:
Insert the PDF file into Confluence page using HTML macro in combination with iframe:
- Enable HTML macro module ((html-xhtml) from Manage Add-Ons > System Plugins > Confluence HTML Macros
- Go to a Confluence page > Insert > Other Macros > HTML
- Inside the HTML tag include the following iframe:
- Save page
- Result: The PDF is rendered fine in the page and Confluence is not crashing
Note: You may replace the attachment link accordingly
In 5.2.3, you'll need to check/tick the 'Insecure: Display all attachments inline' setting in Confluence Admin > Security Configurations > Attachment Download Security Policy so that Confluence will not try to download the PDF file into your local machine and just render it in the page.
While this may be a legit workaround it has two major problems:
- PDF only gets rendered if you have an Adobe Reader Plugin or you use Firefox which uses pdf.js
- Confluence can crash any time since a user can upload a PDF and try to render it using viewxls.
Possible Workaround one of customers reported that upgrading java to version 7u55 stabilised the instance from the occurrence of crashes.