It's been a .... long time between updates. 2 years, 4 days, for those counting. Those of you who saw our latest update on CLOUD-6999 (which was also a long time ago, admittedly) will know that, despite the lack of visible external progress, there has been a team of Atlassians working gradually through these two tickets - and to that effect, I'm pleased to announce that we've shipped the first iteration of being able to rename a Cloud site, as was announced today at Atlassian Summit in Las Vegas. Key highlights:
- Rename requests will be actioned via a support request. Support will review eligibility criteria prior to triggering a rename
- Once Support have confirmed that the site is eligible to be renamed, they will work with the customer to schedule the site rename. It may take up to 5 minutes before the change has fully propagated through various internal systems.. Any access to an old name will be redirected to the new name (e.g. clicking on a link from an email notification sent prior to a site being renamed)
- We have tested the renaming capabilities with a number of core Ecosystem Connect add-ons. We've proven these to work as expected after a rename, however given the number of installed Connect apps we expect there could be some cases where rename breaks these apps. We're continuing to work through the remaining list of top add-ons, as we move towards a self-serve solution.
- We will maintain a history of names associated with a Cloud site, up to a maximum of four previous names. We are not recycling these names currently, however we may choose to do so in the future
- Mobile apps may require users to log out and log back in after a Cloud has been renamed. This is a known limitation with our solution, which we're looking to address in the coming months
We're finalising external documentation updates currently, and I'll post a link to it here once that process has been completed.
I want to thank the broader community for your patience while we've worked our way through this problem, and acknowledge some of the comments that have come up on this ticket, especially in the last day or so regarding how long it's taken us to finally reach this point. We're acutely aware of the pain this has been causing customers, in a variety of scenarios, and are looking forward to providing some relief to that, delayed as it has been.
We'll be leaving this ticket open as we progress towards a fully self-service experience for administrators. Please raise a Support ticket if you encounter issues when using this functionality.
Atlassian Product Management