If a feature has dependencies on other teams that are committed to after the Target Completion Date, then the status of the Feature in the Program Board Swimlane for a Team that will complete all their stories (and dependencies) will display a red planning issue (colour), when the specific teams will complete all their assigned work. This is a misleading status in a swimlane that is team specific as without doing further checks it makes it appear that the team will miss target against their assigned work.
Yes if intending to review the overall status of the Feature itself then showing that planning status based on all of the teams is important, but the display within a team swimlane should reflect the planned work for that team.
NOTE: This bug ticket was created based on feedback in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAALIGN-1554
Have reproduced issue in our cloud 10.106.4 instance - screenshots are from this internal test environment
- Created a Jira Epic (JA Feature) with 2 associated stories that were both in an active sprint) (this was done in Jira, and then synched to Jira Align)
- Also created some future sprints in the same board in Jira
- Checked that this Feature (Jira Epic) and the stories were showing correctly In Jira Align (including assigned sprints etc)
- Made sure there were two other teams in Jira Align and that the sprints had been created for all 3 teams
- Opened the Program Board in Jira Align and set the Target Completion Date for the Feature to the end of the active sprint
- Created 6 Dependencies all for the same Feature as follows
- Dependency between Primary Team and Secondary Team with Committed Date before the Target Date (312 in Dependencies Screenshot)
- Dependency between Primary Team and Secondary Team with initial Committed Date after the target, but this date was then changed to before target (313 in Dependencies Screenshot)
- Dependency between Primary Teams and Secondary Team with Committed Date after target date (314 in Dependencies Screenshot)
- Dependency between two secondary teams with Committed Date before the Target Date (315 in Dependencies Screenshot)
- Dependency between two secondary teams with initial Committed Date after the target, but this date was then changed to before target (316 in Dependencies Screenshot)
- Dependency between two secondary teams with with Committed Date after target date (314 in Dependencies Screenshot)
- Checking the Program Board - the colour status for the Feature in the swimlane for the Primary Team is red. This colour is not desired if the only dependencies in red status require work by other teams and not the primary swimlane team. Note: in the screenshots, German is the Primary Team, with Canada [old] and France being Secondary teams)
- Just for completeness the details of the Feature opened form the Program Board shows valid information relating to the overall planning status of all work against the feature:
- a red warning stating "Some of the dependencies for this Feature are scheduled in Sprint past Feature due date"
- that the highlighted items with a planning issue are those where the committed by date is after target but another teams is responsible for the planned work
As long as all planned work for the team that is the subject of the swimlane is due for completion before the Target Completion date, then the Planning Issues (colour) state of the feature in the swimlane for that team should not display as red.
The planning issue state of the feature in the swimlane shows red, even though the specific team will complete all its assigned work prior to the target date.
Currently there is no known workaround for this behavior. A workaround will be added here when available