unable to create linked issue from an issue which is linked to an epic when lacking edit issue permission in the Epic project
- Create 2 projects A and B. Create an Epic in project A
- Create a Story in project B and link it to the Epic
- Go back to project A and revoke the edit issue permission to the user
- Notice that at that point it is not possible anymore to create a new Story in project B and link it to the Epic in project A and the following error is thrown out into logs:
This is expected by default behaviour even if the error message on the UI is not very clear as per the following bug:
Unable to link Epic without Edit Issue permissions:
For this situation we have an open feature request:
Epic Link field allows selection of unlinkable Epics without warning/error
- Now open again the issue view of the Story previously created still linked to the Epic with the user that is at this point lacking the edit issue permission in project A.
go to More>Create Linked Issue and observe that it is not possible to create the linked issue and an error is thrown out into logs:
In summary it is not possible create the linked issue because the Story is linked to an epic that the user cannot edit (because of lack of edit issue permission)
Note 1: That Project B must be either a Business (Jira Core) or Jira Service Desk project to have the create linked issue feature.
Note 2: Notice that this is not reproducible in 7.13.0 LTS since that version was affected by another bug When create new issue, Epic Link not suggest all matched epics and was not possible at all to link an Epic from another project.
Note 3: Issue is not reproducible in 8.5.0 LTS. It is possible to link the Epic without having edit issue permission in the Epic project (which is not the expected behaviour) and it is possible to create then the linked issue.
It should be possible to create the linked issue from the Story disregarding the fact that the user lack edit issue permission on the Epic linked to the story.
Jira Software considers linking issues to epics as editing the scope of work of an epic, which is why it uses the "Edit issue" permission to check if a user is able to link/unlink issues to an epic.
It is not possible to create a linked issue
- Grant again the user the edit issue permission in the project where the linked epic come from
- Create a new issue and use the More> link issue functionality to link it to the Story which is linked to the Epic where the user lack permission