Inline comments need some improvements. Currently, there is no way to tell if a page has any inline comments just by looking at the top of the page. A user has to visually scan the page and try to see if there is any highlighting indicating an inline comment. This is hard to do and undesirable for several reasons:
- The page may be dense or very busy,
- the highlighting used is faint and hard to see on many monitors we tested,
- the can take a long time to do on long pages without any guarantee of success and the effort may be wasted if there are no comments.
Also, there is no way to open the inline comment browser except for finding an inline comment and clicking on it. We request the following features:
- Display a count of the inline comments at the top of the page.
- Provide a link / menu option / keyboard shortcut to view the inline comments when you are not currently viewing any inline comments.
- If the count of inline comments is > 0, then the count could be a link that, when clicked, opens the right-side sidebar to view and navigate inline comments for the page.
- Hitting ] should toggle the right-side inline comment navigator.