The Classic task board easily fits twice as many cards.
And with the extra spacing the Rapid Board is still a lot harder to distinguish cards. The exploded UI offers little benefit.
Different teams/boards will likely desire a different degree of compactness.
Suggestions for a more compact UI:
- customisable font, the rapid board's font is unnecessarily larger than classic boards and there seems no way to change this,
- customisable card height, for example specified in number of text lines, required height would often be configured proportional to number of columns,
- remove days in progress dots, not wanted and waste of screen for some teams
- configure issue links to go to normal jira issue page, completely disabling the greenhopper issue details view,
- configure individual columns to hide sub-tasks, for example sub-tasks in the "To Do" column may need not be visible and therefore save a lot of screen UI.