Jira Agile getRankRelativeToOtherIssue() method allocates next Rank very inefficiently in cases related to Max Rank (zzzzzz - MAX_DECIMAL). This leads on non-optimal Lexorank space allocation and leads to growth of the Lexorank length, which leads to inability to do rank operation
See related KB Troubleshooting new ranking system issues
- Jira Software 7.2.12, 7.4.4 - 7.6.3
This is generic steps, to fully reproduce the problem you need to high volume of newly created issues and large amount of Rank operations
- Create new issue issueA
- Create new issue issueB
- Create new issue issueC
- Rank issueA after issueC
- Rank length will not grow and remain stable.
- There is no gaps in the Lexorank space.
- Non-optimal Lexorank space allocation with gaps
- Fast growth of the Lexorank length: from 10 to 250
- which leads to inability to do rank operation
- you will get the following error in the logs:
- In majority of the cases, rank operation is done in the middle of the Lexorank space, so getRankRelativeToOtherIssue() will not have problem there.
- SQL to troubleshoot the problem:
- Check Rank length
- Check table status