Searching for the "Parent Link" field using either "IS EMPTY" or "IS NOT EMPTY" returns an incorrect result.
While having Portfolio active, do the following search:
- For is EMPTY, only issues without a Parent Link should be returned
- For is not EMPTY, only issues with a Parent Link should be returned
The results are returned in an unexplainable way, e.g. issues without a Parent Link appear in is not EMPTY and do not appear in is EMPTY.
The results of the 2 JQLs seem to be complements of each other. For example:
- There're 100 issues, only 5 of which have a Parent Link
- If is not EMPTY returns 20 (or any other number instead of 5)
- Then is EMPTY returns the other 80
As introduced by this comment on Feb 5, 2020:
Parent Link is not EMPTY considers 3 types of "parent links": Parent Link from Portfolio, Epics and subtasks. To search issues with only the Parent Link custom field present, exclude the other possible links:
And to further exclude subtasks, if needed:
This happens because the "Parent Link" search keyword is an abstraction of parent links, going beyond the actual custom field with that name.
JPOSERVER-2734 has been created to Change the "Parent Link" search keyword so it doesn't conflict with the "Parent Link" custom field.