Affects Version/s: 4.3, 5.9.14, 6.1.1
Fix Version/s: 6.2.1
Component/s: Content - Restrictions
Symptom Severity:Severity 2 - Major
QA Demo Status:Not Done
QA Kickoff Status:Not Done
Confluence did not check if a user had permission to view a page when creating a workbox notification about new comments. An attacker who can login to Confluence could receive workbox notifications, which contain the content of comments, for comments added to a page after they started watching it even if they do not have permission to view the page itself.
- Versions of Confluence starting with 4.3.0 before 6.2.1 are affected by this vulnerability.
- Confluence Server 6.2.1 is available to download from https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download.
If you are unable to upgrade to the fixed version or newer and need a workaround, you will need to disable in-app notifications from workbox as per the instructions found here:
- Navigate to > General Configuration
- Choose In-app Notifications in the left-hand panel
- Select does not provide in-app notifications.
- The workbox icon will disappear from the Confluence top menu bar.
Atlassian would like to credit Mathias Frank of SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab for reporting this issue to us.