Non-Latin or Special Characters are displayed as question marks '?' in the Custom Export PDF page
- MySQL 5.6
- Download this confluence space XML export : Confluence-space-export-155533-6.xml.zip
- Import into Confluence 5.10.x
- Go to the newly imported space "пробное пространство пять десять"
- Space Tools > Content Tools > export >PDF > Custom Export
All the characters are rendered properly
- It seems like other Custom Export pages are not affected by this issue. For example, the HTML Custom Export:
as well as XML Custom Export:
are not affected
- This issue affect a single page export to PDF as well.
- This issue does not affect Confluence hosted on Linux
First, make sure that the reason for the problem is wrong file encoding used by the JVM.
Go to Admin cog -> General Configuration -> System Information.
Find the file.encoding property and observe the value. If it is anything other than UTF-8, that's the problem.
Confluence only supports UTF-8 file encoding and if it isn't used by default, it will result in issues like this.
Fix is described in the following KB article:
Specifically, adding the:
property to Confluence and then restarting the instance should fix it.