Uploaded image for project: 'Confluence Data Center'
  1. Confluence Data Center
  2. CONFSERVER-32410

Auto populate fields when creating JIRA issues from Confluence


    • Icon: Suggestion Suggestion
    • Resolution: Duplicate
    • None
    • None
    • None
    • We collect Confluence feedback from various sources, and we evaluate what we've collected when planning our product roadmap. To understand how this piece of feedback will be reviewed, see our Implementation of New Features Policy.

      NOTE: This suggestion is for Confluence Server. Using Confluence Cloud? See the corresponding suggestion.

      From a product and development planning perspective, I like the idea of being able to write up changes and tasks in a Confluence page and then being able to automatically create tickets based on the content of this page. Which is broadly what this macros does.

      However, in its current state it will only take the text you highlight in one cell and add this as the Summary to the Jira ticket. And if you select to make multiple tickets, it will then generate tickets using the content of the same cell from the rows below. So you now have several tickets of the same type with only the Summary field populated, and if you need to add Description, Component, FixVersion, Epic, etc fields, then that has to be done manually.
      So my request is to have the ability to have more fields, included custom fields, added automatically from other columns in the table.

      As an example, consider the following example table with 5 columns, 1 header row, and 3 content rows where "h" is the header row, and RC is a cell in a row

      h1 h2 h3 h4 h5
      R1C1 R1C2 R1C3 R1C4 R1C5
      R2C1 R2C2 R2C3 R2C4 R2C5
      R3C1 R3C2 R3C3 R3C4 R3C5

      With the current version I can highlight R1C1 in the first column and if I select to create multiple tickets I will get three tickets containing Summary "R1C1", "R2C1", and "R3C1" respectively.

      What I suggested (just an initial thought on how to implement this), would be to:
      1: Allow the user to add additional fields to the form. Imagine I add "Component", "FixVersion", and "Epic"
      2: One option could then be specify in the form field "Component" to contain "$h2", "FixVersion" to contain "$h3", and "Epic" to contain "$h5"
      3: The macro could then be extended to recognise "$h2" as column header, and then add the corresponding cell value into this field per ticket.
      4: I would then have tickets containing:
      Ticket 1:

      • Summary: R1C1
      • Component: R1C2
      • FixVersion: R1C3
      • Epic: R1C5

      Ticket 2:

      • Summary: R2C1
      • Component: R2C2
      • FixVersion: R2C3
      • Epic: R2C5

      Ticket 3:

      • Summary: R3C1
      • Component: R3C2
      • FixVersion: R3C3
      • Epic: R3C5

      Hope that clarifies. The above example is obviously down to implementation, however the key is to achieve an outcome that allows me to create a more complete ticket based on content from a Confluence table.

            jmasson@atlassian.com John Masson
            romar Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar (Inactive)
            1 Vote for this issue
            6 Start watching this issue