Confluence generates daily XML backups, which fill up disk space in the <confluence-home> backups folder. Left unchecked, this can grow and become large with outdated backup information.
Implement functionality that has Confluence auto-delete older backup files.
As the XML backup can become less efficient as the content grows, Atlassian does not recommend using the XML backup for production disaster recovery. Instead, you can create a more complete, efficient backup using the recommended Production Backup Strategy.
You can use a date format in the filename to name the file with the day of the week, month or year, so when Confluence tries to do this again, it is overwritten the next time Confluence needs to use the file name (e.g. "backup-Fri.zip" will be overwritten on Friday each week):
- Go to > General Configuration > Backup Administration
- Click Edit
- Replace the information in the Backup File Date Pattern with a single letter:
- Overwrite after a week: E
- Overwrite after a month: d
- Overwrite after a year: D
- Click Submit