When there are 2 user directories, one internal and another external, with same username in each of the directory. If the user from top level directory doesn't have the Can Use permission but the user in other directory has, this user will count into license.
- Create an internal user and give the user Can Use permission.
- Hookup Confluence to any external user management (LDAP/AD).
- Move this external user to top of the User Directory so Confluence will use users in this directory.
- Create another user with the same user name as internal one in the external directory.
- Remove the external user from any group so that it doesn't have the Can Use permission.
Check the license count the number of user signed up will not decrease.