The Bitbucket installer won't run on macOS 10.15+ (Catalina) as it is not notarized. The Gatekeeper software was updated in macOS 10.15 (Catalina) to prevent any software distributed with a Developer ID from being opened if it is not notarized.
Beginning in macOS 10.15, all software built after June 1, 2019, and distributed with Developer ID must be notarized.
- Start installer from the Bitbucket installer DMG file
Installer is started.
"Installer can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"
- Install using the tar.gz or zip OR
- Allow the installer to run
- Run the installer
- Once you see the error message, press "OK"
- Then open "System Preferences" -> "Security and Privacy"
- Click "Open Anyway" button in the "Allow apps downloaded from:" section