Assume that you have a private repo, and a User Group named 'Developers' that has Write access to the repo.
If you create a branch permission for e.g. master branch on this repo, with Write access: None, users of the 'Developers' User Group will still be able to push tags on master or create a tag on a commit of master from UI.
- Create a private Bitbucket repo
- Push some commits to the repo
- Create a User Group named 'Developers' in the workspace that owns the repo, and add some users
- Grant to this User Group Write access to the repo
- Create a branch permission in this repo for master branch, with Write access: None
- One of the users that belongs to the 'Developers' user group tries to create a tag on a commit of master from Bitbucket UI, OR
tries to push a tag in a commit of master
The user is prevented from creating a tag via the UI and from pushing a tag on master
The user can create a tag in a commit of master from the UI and can also push a tag on master
Currently there is no known workaround for this behavior. A workaround will be added here when available