- Mac OS X requires binaries to be signed with a Developer ID certificate to run out of the box on mac os x. Without code signing, you should get a warning that the app isn't from the App Store or a registered Apple Developer.
- This used not to be a problem as users were told how to fix it
- Latest versions of Mac OS X report that the download is corrupted rather than blocked by developer id. This is an apple bug. Getting to them to fix it will be near impossible.
- We get a Developer ID certificate and sign our installer binary with it. This is easy to get - we have one for HipChat and we can generate another one.
- Make code signing work
- We use the command line tool to resign each binary after install4j has packaged it (mac only). This would require us to package it manually as a DMG not preferred
- Upgrade to the latest install4j 5.x and use its built in code signing to sign the developer id certificate. This should work on all platforms and be automated preferred