Generating the initial lexorank can seriously affect issue creation time.
This problem can be observed in 2 ways:
- contention on lexorank lock when initialising rank when creating issue
- some nodes are never able to get the lexorank lock and create the lexorank initial value
This problem will manifests itself by increased issue creation time.
In logs we need to enable DEBUG logging on com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.lexorank.
The failed locks should show up in the atlassian-greenhopper.log log.
The indexing stats (indexing-stats) should also show the Rank custom field as expensive - note the max value as the lower value of the average may be "improved" by the updates which will not trigger the expensive Lexorank initialization.
- Note: avg: 1765.5ms, max: 7199ms
This problem will manifests itself by increased issue creation time in the range of 18-20sec.
Lexorank is unable to get the lexorank lock (and create the lexorank initial value) and the issue is indexed with Lexorank.MAX.
This will be seen in the atlassian-greenhopper.log log as warnings:
- Individual ranking operation has 1500 ms timeout for rank lock. Due to DB contetion and slow operation, issue ranking operation fails to save new rank since rank lock expire.
- See KB for more details regarding Lexorank: Troubleshooting New Ranking System Issues
Currently there is no known workaround for this behavior. A workaround will be added here when available