I am sorry to everyone struggling with the behaviour of the REST API. This behaviour is intentional and we’ll be closing this ticket, but let me give additional context.
Note we have two different versions of the Jira API:
- Version 3: This is the latest version but is in beta. Version 2 and version 3 of the API offer the same collection of operations. However, version 3 provides support for the Atlassian Document Format (ADF) for rich text fields.
- Version 2: This API supports wikimarkup for text formatting and can be found here. This version of the API continues to be supported and offers the full functionality of v3, simply the syntax for text formatting differs.
- While we do support on the fly conversion of markdown in the Jira user interface, neither API supports markdown via the REST API.
- If you’d like to use v3 along with ADF, we offer the following tools to help:
- The ADF Schema can be can be used to validate ADF documents.
- The ADF Builder which provides an editor which shows the corresponding ADF.
- ADF Utils is an npm module which provides a set of utilities to traverse, modify and create ADF documents.
We’ve created a ticket to track adding support for wikimarkup/ADF in the v3 api which you can follow here: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/ACJIRA-2499.
— Phil Oye, Group Product Manager, Atlassian