- When adding large PDF or Office files to a Confluence page the attachment does not render as thumbnail on the page
- There is also possibility that the CPU usage will be spiking to 100% during the time and if it does
- The threads are not released until Confluence instance is restarted
Following appears in the thread dumps:
- Edit a page
- Select Files and Images from the Insert dropdown. Can be reproduced using samplepdf.pdf
- Upload a PDF with number in its filename
The PDF thumbnail should render as it does for smaller PDF files
The PDF does not render properly, also see the symptoms above.
Add the JVM Parameter -Dconfluence.document.conversion.threads=3 and restart Confluence for the changes to take effect. While this is not a fix for the problem, it should reduce the number of threads spawned for document conversion; and subsequently reduce overall CPU usage. This parameter is only valid for the affected versions listed (i.e, Confluence 5.7 and above).
Alternatively, it is possible to disable the file conversion service altogether: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/File+conversion+service+causes+out+of+memory+errors+in+Confluence+5.7+or+above
Aspose is the third-party library Confluence uses for processing PDF files. The reference ticket for this bug: