Uploaded image for project: 'Confluence'
  1. Confluence
  2. CONF-11285

Page names with special characters to generate regular URL

    Details

    • Type: Improvement
    • Status: Open
    • Resolution: Unresolved
    • Affects Version/s: 2.3.1
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: Usability, WIKI / HTML
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
    • Last commented by user?:
      true

      Description

      Hi,

      When including different characters in page names - like %, &, +, etc., the URL is generated differently.

      A usual URL (including the page name) looks like this: http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/GS6/Welcome+to+GigaSpaces

      BUT if you add a character in the page name (for example, naming a page, C++), the URL would look like this: http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=36864161

      which is less nice-looking to say the least, and also then all URLs in the wiki aren't standard.

      Is it possible to change this?

      If it's been fixed in a future version, I'll be glad to know.

      Thanks,

      Limor

        Issue Links

          Activity

          Hide
          sandy0214qin Yuhao Qin added a comment -

          I voted for this!

          Show
          sandy0214qin Yuhao Qin added a comment - I voted for this!
          Hide
          daniel.roberts1 Daniel Roberts added a comment -

          This really is an important thing to fix. Having standard URLs is a huge benefit.

          Show
          daniel.roberts1 Daniel Roberts added a comment - This really is an important thing to fix. Having standard URLs is a huge benefit.
          Hide
          irina.selivanova Irina added a comment -

          +1 This has to be resolved.

          Show
          irina.selivanova Irina added a comment - +1 This has to be resolved.
          Hide
          irina.selivanova Irina added a comment -

          This issue was created in 2008. Does it really take so long to fix it and make so many customers happy? We started using Confluence less than a year ago and happy with English docs; though our documentaiton is multilingual. It seems we need to search for a better solution than Confluence.

          Show
          irina.selivanova Irina added a comment - This issue was created in 2008. Does it really take so long to fix it and make so many customers happy? We started using Confluence less than a year ago and happy with English docs; though our documentaiton is multilingual. It seems we need to search for a better solution than Confluence.
          Hide
          emre.toptanci Emre Toptancı [OBSS] added a comment -

          As far as I can see, Atlassian (kind of) solved this problem for Confluence Questions. CQ removes irregular chars and creates a text url. Should be relatively easy to implement the same thing for Confluence I guess.

          By the way: In my opinion, the solution implemented for CQ is not the best one. CQ completely removes special chars and accented chars. It would be better if it replaces special chars with their plain English counterparts, where possible (for example accented chars in Turkish (ü,ğ,ı,ş,ç,ö) should be replaced with u,g,i,s,c,o) This results in better searchability.

          Show
          emre.toptanci Emre Toptancı [OBSS] added a comment - As far as I can see, Atlassian (kind of) solved this problem for Confluence Questions. CQ removes irregular chars and creates a text url. Should be relatively easy to implement the same thing for Confluence I guess. By the way: In my opinion, the solution implemented for CQ is not the best one. CQ completely removes special chars and accented chars. It would be better if it replaces special chars with their plain English counterparts, where possible (for example accented chars in Turkish (ü,ğ,ı,ş,ç,ö) should be replaced with u,g,i,s,c,o) This results in better searchability.